Frequently Asked Questions

ARB Frequently Asked Questions

I disagree with my assessment from MPAC, how do I appeal to the ARB?

If your property is classified as residential, farm, managed forest or conservation land:

  1. You MUST first file a Request for Reconsideration (RFR) with MPAC within 120 days of receiving your Notice.
  2. You MUST receive their Notice of Decision BEFORE filing an appeal with the Board.
  3. Your deadline to file with the ARB is 90 days from the mailing date of MPAC’s Notice of Decision.

For all other property types:

  1. You may file an appeal directly with the ARB or you may file a RFR with MPAC.
  2. If you file a RFR and do not reach a settlement with MPAC, you may then file an appeal with the ARB. Your deadline to file with the ARB is 90 days from the mailing date of MPAC’s Notice of Decision.
  3. If you file directly with the ARB, your deadline to file with the ARB is March 31 of the tax year for annual assessment appeals or 90 days from the notice date for other types of assessments.

For more information, please see Filing an Appeal and the Assessment Act.

What are the appeal filing fees?

For residential, farm, or managed forest properties the fee is $ 132.50 For commercial, industrial and other properties the fee is $318. There is a $10 discount if you E File and pay online. Filing a RFR with MPAC is free. ARB fees are not determined by MPACs property classification. According to the Assessment Act, 8.1 the ARB has the authority to set the fees for the appeals.

Can I use the Multiple Appeals Filed by Representative Payment Form if I am filing more than one appeal?

No. Use the Multiple Appeals Filed by Representative Payment Form (Word) only if you are filing more than 25 appeals under one transaction. If you are filing less than 25 appeals, use the e-file option or complete the assessment appeal form.

If I am filing more than 25 appeals, do I have to complete the Multiple Appeals Filed by Representative Payment Form and Excel Template?

Yes. If you would like to file more than 25 appeals under one transaction, you must complete both documents and submit payment using one of the following two options:

OPTION 1: E-mail AND Mail

  1. Email the completed Excel template to, and
  2. Fax the completed payment form and a copy of the e-mail sent above on your company’s letterhead to ARB’s secure fax number 416-314-3717 or 1-877-849-2066.

OPTION 2: Mail OR Drop-off

  1. The completed Excel template saved on a USB, and
  2. The Payment form, along with your payment to ARB’s head office.

How do I fill out the Excel Template?

A tip sheet has been created to assist you in completing the Excel Template. Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk (*). If any mandatory information is missing, the ARB will return the template and filing fee back to the applicant.

If you require further assistance, contact Public Inquiry at (416) 212-6349 or toll-free 1-866-448-2248.

Will I receive a discount for filing more than 25 appeals under one transaction?

No discount is available for filing more than 25 appeals under one transaction. If you would like to receive a $10 discount, use our e-file option. However, please note that our e-file option can only accept up to 15 appeals per transaction. If you would like to submit more than 15 appeals and still use our e-file option, you will have to divide your submission into multiple transactions. There is no limit on the number of transactions that can be submitted.

Fees will remain the same for administrative costs, such as requesting a review of a decision or photocopying documents at Public Inquiry. Please view the ARB Fee Chart for more details.

What if I can’t afford to appeal?

The ARB encourages potential appellants to resolve their matter through the Request for Reconsideration (RFR) process with the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). The RFR process with MPAC is free, and in many cases, can help to avoid the ARB process altogether.

Can I get a refund of the appeal filing fee?

There are no refunds of the appeal filing fee.

What is a valuation date?

This is the date that the property’s current value assessment is determined. Current value means the amount a willing buyer would pay a willing seller for your property on the valuation date. The valuation date for the 2017-2020 tax years is January 1, 2016. The increases in your property value will be phased in over those four years.

What does the Assessment Review Board do?

The Assessment Review Board (ARB) hears appeals on property assessments and some property tax appeals. In a court like setting, the Board hears evidence about the appeal and makes decisions based on the evidence and the law.

Why is my property assessment this amount?

Please direct questions about your property assessment and/or your Property Assessment Notice to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). The ARB does not prepare or send out property assessments. Please contact MPAC at 1-866-296-6722.

Why is my property tax bill this amount?

Please direct questions about your property tax bill to your municipality. The ARB does not send out property tax bills. Please contact your municipality.

My assessment was adjusted long ago. Why did I not receive any refund from my property taxes?

Your municipality is responsible for collecting property taxes. If you have any questions about your property taxes, including any amount owing to you, contact your municipality.

I missed my farmland registration. What can I do now?

The ARB hears appeals about property assessments and some tax matters. Please speak to the agency that is responsible for farmland registration. Contact the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs c/o Agricorp at 1-888-247-4999 or for more information.

Do I have to hire a lawyer to appear before the Board?

You can represent yourself at a hearing or you can have someone else represent you. If you choose a representative, then you must give him/her signed written authorization.

The Law Society Act requires that anyone providing legal services in Ontario requires a licence, unless the group or individual is not captured by the Law Society Act or is exempt by a Law Society by-law. There is an exemption that allows for persons who are not in the business of providing legal services to occasionally provide assistance to a friend or relative for no fee. For information on licensing please refer to the Law Society of Upper Canada’s website or call 416-947-3315 or 1-800-668-7380.

Do I have to bring evidence to the hearing?

It is important that you come prepared to your ARB hearing. The hearing is your opportunity to explain why you think your property assessment is wrong. Although it is MPAC’s responsibility to explain its valuation of your property, you should still bring evidence to back up your case.

What kind of evidence do I bring to the hearing?

You may want to look at bringing the following:

  • Detailed property information such as location, lot size, square footage, age of building, and the number of stories;
  • Detailed information, as above, on comparable properties in the same area as your property;
  • Sales information on your property and comparable properties;
  • Assessed values of your property and comparable properties;
  • Photographs of your property and comparable properties;
  • Any other evidence you think will help prove your case;
  • Three extra copies of the documents (in addition to your own set) you plan on using as evidence at the hearing. These copies are for the ARB’s records, for MPAC and for the municipal representative (if one is there).

I don’t want to proceed with my appeal. What do I do?

The Board holds hearing events to give you an opportunity to prove why your assessment is wrong. If you do not want to proceed with your hearing, you can withdraw your appeal. For more information, please see our “Withdrawing An Appeal” Information Sheet here.

Why did I receive a notice of a hearing/pre-hearing from the Board?

If you did not file an appeal but still received a notice, please contact the Board and have the notice ready. A Public Inquiry person will be happy to look into this for you.

Can I speak with an assessor before my hearing?

The Board and MPAC are two separate organizations. If you have a question for a MPAC assessor or any other person at MPAC, please contact them at 1-866-296-6722. You should speak to MPAC about your assessment before the hearing to understand how they determined your assessment.

MPAC did not provide any information for me, so I can’t present any evidence at the hearing, what should I do?

MPAC generally provides appellants access to If you are not prepared for your hearing, you may request that your hearing be postponed. To do this, you must send an Expedited Board Direction form to the Board.

For information about your property, please contact MPAC.

I sold my property, so why am I still getting notices of hearings and decisions?

The name that is on the assessment roll is the name that receives documentation from the Board. If you are no longer the owner of the property, please call MPAC at 1-866-296-6722 and ask them to update their records.

I missed the deadline to file my appeal. What can I do?

Under very rare and specific circumstances the Board may accept a late appeal. For more information, please see Rule 26 of the ARB Rules of Practice and Procedure.

I received a Change Notice and/or an Amended Notice from MPAC after the March 31st deadline, can I still appeal?

There are different types of assessments. There is the Annual Assessment Notice (under Section 40 of the Assessment Act) there is the Assessment Change Notice (Under section 33 and 34 of the Assessment Act) and there is the Amended Assessment Notice (under section 32 of the Assessment Act). Sometimes these notices are received at different times of the year. If your property is residential, farm, managed forest or conservation land you still need to file a Request for Reconsideration with MPAC and must do so within 120 days of receiving your Notice.

For all other properties, such as commercial or industrial, you must file either your appeal or RFR within 120 days of receiving your notice.

I have gone through the Request for Review process and it has been denied – what is my next available option?

There is nothing further the Assessment Review Board can do at this time. However, you may file an application for judicial review with the Divisional Court.

Increase Font
Decrease Font